Monday, December 15, 2008

First Visit to the Dentist

Claire had her first dental check-up! She has 10 teeth. She has all 4 of her 1-year old molars, plus the basic 4 that all babies get first (2 bottom and 2 top middle ones), and she has her top 2 eye teeth.
Neither Claire nor I have any cavities. Yay for daily brushings and flossing. Yes, I am crazy for flossing her teeth, but I do it. I don't want her to get cavities. I just tagged her on the end of my 6 month appointment. They didn't really do anything as far as cleaning goes...right...clean a babies' teeth...good luck with that if you're not the parent!
She had a blast and entertained all the office staffers. My hygienist seemed a little bit of a dumbass. She was telling me not to breastfeed her to sleep, or feed her b-milk at night because it can cause bottle mouth. Because it's the same as formula or juice. "And she's seen it." Right. Ok.
Um, that's one of the beautiful benefits of breastfeeding...it's the perfect, ideal, and natural way to put your baby to sleep. As a matter of fact, I don't know how I'd ever put her to sleep if she weans before the age of ... I don't know!
I told her I'd be interested to see a pamphlet or booklet that said such, but she failed to produce any such literature of course. ;)
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/tooth-decay.html That's a good read. Basically, don't share your silverware with you baby, brush their teeth or gums daily (maybe even twice daily!), and floss once there are 2 teeth next to each other, and that should help. I was reading that some kids are genetically more susceptible to tooth decay which would suck! I have only had one teeny filling in my adult set of teeth and hope to keep it that way.
Knock on some wooden teeth!
There is so much High Fructose Corn Syrup in everything...it's ridiculous. You can hardly find good food without it!

No comments: