Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Graham Cracker Recipe

Since I've had a couple emails and other requests for this, here is the
HOME-MADE GRAHAM CRACKER RECIPE!!!
and I do want to give credit to the awesome cookbook I got this out of: WHOLE FOODS FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY which has tons of other awesome recipes. It is a LLL publication. LLL of course stresses healthy eating from as natural of a state as possible for the whole family. You should totally buy it. It has recipes for stuff that you typically BUY all the time...also for things like "condensed soup mixes" and saltine crackers, salad dressings, pancake "mixes", "sloppy joe mixes"...stuff I used to buy before I started reading labels and avoiding MSG and HFCS as much as possible. It even has some recipes for home-made juice, which I might try when I finally go and pick apples this fall! So here goes.

INGREDIENTS:
1/3 c. oil
1/3 c. Honey
2 T. molasses
1 t. vanilla
2 1/2 to 3 cups whole wheat flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1/4 to 1/2 c. milk
oil or butter for greasing

READ ALL THE DIRECTIONS FIRST!
1. Mix oil, honey, molasses and vanilla in large bowl.
2. Combine 2 1/2 c. flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in medium bowl.
3. Add dry mix to wet mix, alternating with milk. Mix well. When dough gets too stiff for spoon stirring, knead with hands.
4. If dough becomes too sticky, add up to 1/2 c. more flour. Form dough into ball.
5. Preheat oven to 300 F.
6. Grease cookie sheets.
7. Divide dough in half.
8. Roll out flat, directly onto sheet. (It should be enough to put on 2 sheets.)
9. Use knife to cut into squares about 2.5 inches apart, but do not actually separate.
10. Prick surface with fork or shampoo brush (???!!!) for even baking.
11. Bake for 15-25 minutes, or until outer edges are slightly browned.
12. Remove from oven with potholders (duh!)
13. Allow to cool entirely on sheets.
14. After cooled, separate the crackers and remove from sheet with turner.
15. Store in an airtight container to keep them fresh.

PS...I like to sprinkle extra cinnamon/sugar on top of mine after poking the holes! Warning...you will never want store-bought ones again! :) If you make them, let me know how yours turned out! :) YUMMY! ENJOY!

1 comment:

Kristel said...

It looks like such a great recipe! Too bad I've never seen molasses here, argh. Maybe I can fit a few bottles in my luggage when I'm back for the holidays!