Sunday, May 3, 2009

Busy Busy Busy Weekends

So LAST weekend, I went to the LLL conference early Sat. morning in Avon, IN, which was really informative. I suck up info like a sponge! One of the Castleton group leaders Lisa, did a birthing presentation. She had actually had an evening at her house where some regular group members (including myself) watched a birthing video and had a little discussion about that and lotus birth. So I thought most of the info would be repeated, but everything she presented was pretty much new to me.

Then I went to one session on becoming a breastfeeding advocate which talked about the breastfeeding coalitions in place in Indiana, which are trying to get more mothers to initiate breastfeeding and increase the duration of breastfeeding, which are pretty similar to what LLL is about, as well! One of the interesting points brought up in this sessions was how obesity is on the rise in America, and not so coincidentally we also have the lowest breastfeeding rates at 6 and 12 months, etc. Anyway, they also had goodies to buy and a silent auction...all good stuff there...like books, awesome toddler toys, and cool LLL things like a handmade needlepoint of the LLL mommy/babby nursing pair.

THEN after a catered lunch there of Fazolis (which Claire loved the breadsticks) she and I drove scenic old 40 to Terre Haute, IN, which was only about an hour from Avon. Claire had crashed hard from running around playing with other little toddlers that morning (PLUS getting up super early to get to the conference!), so while she continued to car nap, I drove around my college stomping grounds and some of our old apartments! It was so different!

Claire and I visited my old boss Debbi, then headed to the "main attraction"--Pierce's 2nd Birthday party! Pierce is the son of college friends Jeremy and Stephanie. The theme was Little Einstein's, and he had a very cool little cake! Claire then had an awesome time running around in his backyard and trying out his sandbox and other toys! She was actually able to get his Power Wheels car to drive, but kept running into stuff because the concept of steering has yet to come. She was just in the fenced in backyard, though! I have some pictures I will try to post soon of this. I also have some videos of that...plus wedding/Easter footage...but who knows if/when I'll get around to posting that!

No comments: